Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Awesome Flavored Water Recipes

I used to drink soda like crazy! Because I am trying to lose weight, be healthier, and lower my sodium intake, it has been off limits to me for awhile now with some fantastic results. My problem lies in the fact that my fiance still enjoys this sugary beverage. I do not feel the need to make him quit drinking soda because (1) he does not have the desire to quit drinking soda, (2) he is a big boy he can drink what he wants, and (3) he does not have a weight problem whatsoever. I have gotten better about not craving soda when I see him drinking it, but sometimes water just doesn't cut it. I crave flavor. Beverages like lemonade, Crystal Light, Gatorade, and fruit juices are still loaded with sugar and calories. I thought I was doomed to drink flavorless water forever when I came across this awesome post on Pinterest:

 Adding fruits, veggies, and herbs to your water can curb your cravings for sugary beverages without ruining your diet. The longer you let the fruit steep in the water, the better the flavor becomes. Here are some great combination ideas. I can't wait to try these out! 

1. Watermelon and Mint (pictured above)
2. Cucumber and Mint
3. Lemon and Mint
4. Lemon and Lime
5. Lemon and Orange
6. Cherry and Lime
7. Watermelon and Cucumber
8. Lemon and Lavender
9. Orange and Pineapple
10. Cucumber and Lime
11. Strawberry and Lemon
12. Strawberry and Kiwi
13. Strawberry and Lime
14. Strawberry and Mint
15. Strawberry and Orange
16. Ginger and Lemon
17. Thyme and Blackberry
18. Strawberry and Blueberry
19. Blackberry and Ginger
20. Blueberry and Lemon
21. Lemon and Basil
22. Cantaloup and Watermelon
23. Cucumber, Lemon, and Mint
24. Strawberry and Basil
25. Orange, Lime, and Lemon
26. Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, and Orange (kind of has a Mountain Dew taste)
27. Lemon and a pinch of Cayenne pepper
28. Mango and Strawberry
29. Papaya and Mango
30. Grape
31. Strawberry and Raspberry
32. Raspberry and Blueberry
33. Cherry and Strawberry
34. Blood Orange
35. Honeydew Melon
36. Strawberry and Watermelon
37. Strawberry and Pineapple
38. Cherry and Watermelon
39. Watermelon and Honeydew Melon
40. Lemon and honey
41. Blood Orange and Grapefruit
42. Grape and Strawberry
44. Cherry and Kiwi
45. Kiwi and Pineapple
46. Peach and Strawberry
47. Pear and Peach
48. Peach and Blueberry
49. Peach and Pineapple
50. Apple and Blackberry

There are so many more combinations you could make...the options are literally endless. Just think of all the sugar, calories, and sodium you will be saving yourself by sipping one of these flavored water ideas instead of chugging a soda. These are so refreshing for spring and summer parties too! If you're not one to enjoy fruit in your water, Amazon sells these great pitchers with cylinders in the middle especially for steeping for under $25 with free shipping!


 

11 comments:

  1. A flavored shakeis a sweet beverage which is made from milk, sugar, ice cream and flavorings or sweeteners such as fruit syrup or chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are not shakes. It is ice water flavored with real fruit. The only sugar is the natural sugars from the fruit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can choose tummy tuck surgery to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is the proportion for fruits / vegtables vs water? Can I change water for green te?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! I only knew lemon slices water.... now I have many to try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victor and Elena, it really depends on how strong of flavor you would like. I tend to just like the light flavor of fruit, but if you're needing something a little more flavorful to keep you from craving other sugary beverages, you could always add more. It really depends on your taste. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mirna, I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! I used to drink a lot of lemon water myself to when I was first giving up soda, but I got really bored really quickly. I enjoyed this list so much that I knew I had to share it. Happy experimenting and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
    garlic benefits.
    cinnamon benefits.
    running for weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A flavored water is a sweet beverage which is made from milk, sugar, ice cream and flavorings or sweeteners such as fruit syrup or chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete